Watermelon Bars Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Mouthwatering Watermelon Bars, a refreshing summertime treat!
- For Crust:
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 3tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup butter
- 2 or 3 drops of green food color
- For Filling:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 220ml fresh watermelon puree or juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 10x8x2-inch baking pan with baking paper.
- For crust, in a large bowl stir together 1 cup flour, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, green food color and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake about 15 minutes or until light golden around the edges.
- In a medium bowl whisk together granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice, watermelon puree and food coloring (if using) until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt and chocolate chips. Pour watermelon mixture over the hot crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Place on a cutting board. Cut into bars. Dust bars with powdered sugar
Recipe Adapted and modified from Better Homes and Gardens